Pieces of Me

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Whole 30–Day 3

Well, I made it through Day 3.  It was a crazy day.  I am the SS and Nursery Coordinator at my church, and so I had to get some curriculum up into North Austin at some point today. 

For breakfast I grabbed 2 eggs nests, a cup of strawberries and made a homemade coconut milk latte with gloria jeans butter toffee coffee and vanillia stevia.

My morning started with lots of traffic.  Last week, some dude didn’t pay attention to the height of his load and hit our main bridge over the highway causing it to be shut down for 7 hours.  Well, it’s been nearly a week and the bridge is still not 100% open causing major traffic delays.  And someone decided it would be a good idea to try and run across Hwy 71 this morning and got hit by two cars (and died Sad smile ) but also caused the highway to be shut down during rush hour.  This caused me to have to take an alternate route out of my neighborhood and after 40 minutes of sitting in traffic, I finally got across the highway and was able to get my kids to VBS (15 minutes late). 

Once they were dropped off, I had to go to the dentist.  Now I admit, I haven’t been to the dentist in 4 years.  I actually thought it had been more than that, but I knew this appointment wasn’t going to be fun.  I knew there wasn’t going to be a cleaning and just a lot of X-Rays and a bunch of other evaluations of my mouth.  I’m told that I have great gums and teeth but that I have a few cavities on a few teeth (okay 2 cavities) and that my old fillings need to be replaced.  The estimate when I get through?  On top of my $46 copay for a $156 appointment?  $3,000.  THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS.  I immediately get on the phone and call my childhood dentist and ask if they will give me a 2nd opinion.  They even let me fax the estimate to them.  And they are SHOCKED.  Tons of work that appears to be unnecessary.  I’m thankful that #1. I have insurance, and #2. I have someone from whom to seek a second opinion.  I’m going to my childhood dentist (SHOUT OUT TO DR. TENNISON) and will happily receive the treatment he feels I need.

That being said, I got done with the dentist and had to pick up the kids and head north.  We went up to the Arboretum and ate at 5 Guys.  I had a bunless burger all the way.  It was good – and Whole 30. 

We visited the cows, and then headed home.  The kids were disappointed because Amy’s Ice Creams in the Arboretum doesn’t take Credit Cards.  I was not.  LOL

We got home and had quiet time for 1 1/2 hours.  And then I decided I should do my civic duty and go vote.  Its 100+ degrees outside, but I load the kids on their bikes and we make the 1/2 mile walk to the voting place.  Only to be told it’s closed.  By the time we got home we were all hot, and there was NO WAY I was cooking dinner.  So we waited for Stephen to get home, and we headed to Jason’s Deli – where I had a Chicken Club Salad – no cheese with Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing.

All in all I had a great day.

Oh – and I had a peach today for a snack.

I’m feeling great.  I’m tired, but not exhausted like the first time.  I am ready to stop taking Benadryl at night.  I am down to one pill a day instead of two. 

Oh and Kalyn, she is ROCKIN’ her Whole 30.  XOXOXO